I’m feeling bad emotionally: what can I do? As we know, although we feel very happy and cheerful, our mood can vary and play tricks on us at times. It has happened to all of us that there are certain days when we feel extremely happy and others when we experience sadness and feel unmotivated.
So if at this time, either because one of these situations is happening to you or you simply find yourself less animated than other times and even sad and melancholic, you should know that you can always do something to feel better. This is why in this Psychology-Online article: I feel bad emotionally, what can I do? We are going to give you a series of practical tips so that you can overcome this situation.
You may also be interested in: I feel bad about myself: what can I do?
Reasons why you feel bad emotionally
There are many situations that can cause our mood to decline, situations as difficult as the loss of a loved one, a serious illness, a love break, among others. Also some less serious such as having argued with a friend, partner, a co-worker, remembering a sad moment in the past, etc.I’m feeling bad emotionally: what can I do?
Next, we will mention to you which are someI’m feeling bad emotionally: what can I do? of the main situations that cause a certain degree of discomfort and sadness to appear in people. Pay attention to each of them since you probably feel identified.
- Having had a loss. It is completely normal that if you have just experienced some loss in your life, be it due to the death of a loved one, a love breakdown or the loss of your job, you feel emotionally bad due to the deep natural pain that you are experiencing right now.
- Having had a bad day. There are days when things go better for us than other times, either because we have put more or less effort into doing them or simply by luck and sometimes this can cause discomfort and frustration in people.
- Remember things from the past. If lately you have been remembering situations from the past where you have had a very bad time, thinking about that causes you to relive the same emotions that you experienced on that occasion such as sadness, anger, rage, etc.I’m feeling bad emotionally: what can I do?
- Depression: If you have been feeling this way for a long time or for at least 2 weeks in a row that even for no apparent reason your mood is extremely down, you should pay attention to all the symptoms that you are presenting since there is the possibility that you have depression or that you are showing the first symptoms. If you have doubts, we offer you the following Beck depression test
- Stress. Another possible reason is that you have recently been subjected to many situations of constant stress and that finally, the discomfort is already manifesting in your mood.
I’m feeling bad emotionally: what can I do?
Whether or not you have identified with the above reasons, as I mentioned at the beginning of the post, there are always things you can do to feel better and boost your mood. It is advisable that you carry out this series of practical tips so that you can gradually notice a change for the better.
Focus your attention on something positive
Surely right now your attention is focused only on aspects that you consider negative in your life. So pay attention to what you are thinking at the moment and once you have identified that what you are thinking is mostly negative, withdraw your attention on it without anger and focus only on positive aspects. Make an effort to think about the positive aspects that you have in life and give importance to things that we often put aside, such as having a roof to sleep in, hot water to shower, food, etc.
Do not generalize
Often people tend to generalize everything and say things like for example in this case: “I can never do things right”, “everything goes wrong”, “I will never be able to be happy” , etc . I’m feeling bad emotionally: what can I do?
But is it really so? The answer is that no since there are always things that we can do well, not everything we do is wrong, we have the ability to be happy at least for moments or periods of time, etc. I’m feeling bad emotionally: what can I do? So every time you catch yourself generalizing, stop and try to see things objectively.
Get closer to your friends and family
What we normally do when we are down and discouraged is to distance ourselves from other people, which all it does is cause the opposite effect to what we want. So it’s time for you to look for that social support network you need, you can for example call or go visit your friends and spend pleasant moments with them since right now is when you need their company most.
I feel bad about myself, what can I do?
To end this article, we want to finish solving the following question ” I’m feeling bad emotionally: what can I do?” Using three tips based on positive psychology:
- Do enjoyable activities. The fact that you start doing enjoyable activities will undoubtedly help you significantly increase your mood. You can, for example, go out and practice the sport you like the most, go for a walk, go to the movies, go out with your friends, have sex, wear clothes that you like, take a hot and relaxing bath, etc.
- Physical exercise. Exercise is undoubtedly excellent to increase our mood since it not only activates us physically but alsoemotionally. It also helps us to stop paying attention to those unpleasant things that we are thinking about and allows us to focus on the present moment.
- Meditation. When we feel bad emotionally it is because we are too worried about what is going to happen (we focus on the future) or we are distressed about what we did in the past. Meditation helps us calm our minds and pay attention to what really matters, which is the here and now.
This article is merely informative, in Psychology-Online we do not have the power to make a diagnosis or recommend treatment. We invite you to go to a psychologist to treat your particular case.